Translate

Monday, October 17, 2011

Thoughts: Buick Verano

Buick has really transformed themselves in the past few years, in a good way. I was first impressed with the Enclave and how stylish it was because at that time I couldn't believe it was a Buick. Then came the LaCrosse which is just a great looking car. Every time I see the LaCrosse, I just think "luxury". The Regal was the next Buick model to appear and I was blown away again. But my thoughts about the Regal changed after I drove the CXL model. Now there is a new Buick model coming called the Verano. I will give it to Buick that their vehicles are very attractive. The Verano like the rest of the Buick family screams "luxury". When I heard that this model was going to be below the Regal I started to have doubts. Those doubts continued when I found out that this model will share it's platform with the Chevrolet Cruze and Volt. All I kept thinking in my mind was that the Verano was going to be an upscale Cruze. Their price ranges overlap each other which doesn't help. When I think of models that are rebadged I think why would someone pay a premium price for a Verano when they can get similarly equipped Cruze for less money?

The Buick Verano will start at over $23,000. The base Verano will be equipped with a 2.4-liter engine that produces 180 horsepower. There will be a 2.4-liter turbo four engine later on in the model year. While Buick states that the average Verano customer isn't interested in performance, I really don't believe that. In my opinion if someone is spending money on a premium or luxury vehicle, I'm sure they expect a decent engine to come with it. I'm not saying put an engine with 300 horses in the car but an engine that makes a statement. In this price class there are so many other choices to choose from. I'm really rooting for Buick to stay competitive and be successful. But the biggest problem they have to fix is their engine choices. The base engine in the Regal and Verano just don't cut it in my opinion.

What are your thoughts on the new Buick Verano?

For more information on the Verano check out Buick's website: http://www.buick.com/verano-luxury-sedan.html

Please click the "Join this site" button on the right hand side, subscribe, and check out my other posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...