Translate

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Will Saab Make It???

Today Saab announced that they were filing for bankruptcy. Saab's parent company thinks that going through bankruptcy will allow them to raise short term funding.

Update: A Swedish court has rejected Saab's application for protection from it's creditors.

I personally think that Saab needs more than just short term funding. I actually thought that Saab would be better off once General Motors sold it to Spyker.  But I guess I was wrong about that. It's very obvious that General Motors can be blamed for the condition that Saab is currently in. General Motor's neglect, engine choices, and overpriced vehicles did damage to the Saab brand. General Motor's decision to purchase Saab was not a good one; just like Ford when they purchased Volvo, Jaguar and Land Rover. Damage was done to all of these brands because neither company had proper management and couldn't devote all their time towards all the brands.

I honestly don't know what will happen with Saab but I'm surely thinking that things are not looking too good.  I really like the design of the 9-5 and 9-4 but I don't like their engine choices. Saab really needed its own identity instead of being rebadged General Motor products. Saab's parent company really has faith that Saab will be able to make it successfully as a car brand. As Saab is trying to reconfigure itself the brand is losing market share. I always root for struggling automakers because I feel that competition is good and I hope that Saab can come out a contender. I have no idea what is going to happen but as of right now this may be the end of Saab!

Do you think Saab will make it? Are you a true Saab loyalist?

Please click the "Join this site" button on the right hand side, subscribe, and check out my other posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...